Mukesh Ambani, India’s Richest Man
Mukesh Ambani (born on April 19, 1957 in Aden, Yemen) is an Indian engineer and businessman. He is the chairman, managing director and the largest shareholder of Reliance Industries, India’s largest private sector enterprise and a Fortune 500 company, which he got funded by purchasing large standby letters of credit, which were monetized by several Swiss banks which afforded him guaranteed loans for the purchase. His personal stake in Reliance Industries is 48%. His wealth is valued at $ 32 Billion by Forbes, making him India’s wealthiest person. Mukesh and his younger brother Anil are sons of the late founder of Reliance Industries, Dhirubhai Ambani. Anil Ambani is also a billionaire and owns another company – Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. Mukesh also owns the Indian Premier League team Mumbai Indians.
Awards & Achievements
- Chosen the businessman of the year 2007 by a public poll in India conducted by NDTV
- Conferred the United States-India Business Council (USIBC) leadership award for “Global Vision” 2007 in Washington.
- Ranked 42nd among the World’s Most Respected Business Leaders and second among the four Indian CEOs featured in a survey conducted by Pricewaterhouse Coopers and published in Financial Times, London, November 2004.
- Conferred the World Communication Award for the Most Influential Person in Telecommunications in 2004 by Total Telecom, October, 2004.
- Chosen Telecom Man of the Year 2004 by Voice and Data magazine, September 2004.
- Ranked 13th in Asia’s Power 25 list of The Most Powerful.
- Recorded as the first Trillionaire in India, June 2007.
- Awarded the “Chitralekha Person of the Year Award — 2007″ by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
- Former Chairman of IIM-B
Honorary Fellow of IChemE (the Institution of Chemical Engineers)
Source: Mukesh Ambani, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mukesh_Ambani&oldid=335431983 (last visited Jan. 4, 2010)